Thursday, May 5, 2011

INTRODUCING THE NEWEST MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY. {making baby squash puree}



We graciously welcomed The Baby Bullet into our home to help transition our little Ripsi into the process of starting on solid foods! I'll have to tell you, we LOVE our bullet despite the fact that we were shorted a short cup & a batch tray (which, we called, it's on backorder & should be coming... soon?) Our steamer is also on backorder, so we've been taking the longer route to produce wonderfully tasting treats for our little girl.

The doctor recommended that when baby sister was ready, that we start with the yellow vegetable family. So, we headed to the grocery store & selected a medium sized yellow squash that came to 98 cents. We took it home and got to work slicing it into 1/4 inches slices.



While doing our cutting, we started a pot of boiling water on the stove. When it was time, we added our steamer basket (Can you tell me why these things has NO instructions on them? Am I just supposed to KNOW how to use them? I was informed, I don't know how to steam properly, but it worked perfectly fine & I wouldn't change a thing I did. Even the placement of my steamer basket. I urge you to attempt to shove that metal thing into one of Rachael Ray's pots, good luck, it's a tight squeeze.)



After about 7-10 minutes of steaming, our squash pieces were very tender & slightly beginning to lose their shape. It was just about time to move them over to the baby bullet. We just made a pit stop in between to feed some to Daycen who thought they were fantastic!



Once in the bullet, I added 1/4 cup of water & began to blend.

Blend. Blend. Blend. Blend.



Once completely smooth & pureed, I poured a small amount into a tiny bowl for Ripsi & filled three other storage cups full. If we would have purchased this amount in stores, it would have costed us $2.10! We saved $1.12 today by making it ourselves! The best thing about the Baby Bullet storage cups is the made on date! You just need to remember to change it - which is going to take some practice for me.



So, you ask... Did she like it? Was it worth it?

YES! She loved it!





She ate every last bit of squash that was in that little bowl... and than, like it was a Thanksgiving dinner she passed out on the couch, her belly full of delicious flavors.




Vote For Us @ TopBabyBlogs.Com - A Top Baby Blog List By topbabyblogs.com

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I LOVE the baby bullet, isn't it adorable? We're going to be making a lot of our little guys food too, I'm excited to get started! :)

Jamie Kubeczka said...

How fun! Such a good mommy. Cute pics! Happy Mother's Day!

Joeylee said...

the baby bullet is awesome! glad she liked the squash

Megan said...

I can't wait to start making our own baby food! I told Andy I wanted to invest in a Baby Bullet. My mom used to just make it all from scratch without any machine or help but goodness, I'd rather just use that cute little machine with the cool storage ;D Gosh she is just too too cute!

And can I say how much I love your plate? It's adorable.

Ruthie Hart said...

Visiting from Embrace the Camera:

so fun! your girls are precious. I've heard so many great things about the baby bullet!

Brooke Leigh said...

@ashley Oh goodness, I didn't think I could love a machine as much as I love the baby bullet, the smiley face cheers me up any day!

@megan the plate is actually my moms! I took all those pictures when we were over at her house. =) She has the cutest decor, it's all bright & floral.

pakosta said...

I wish they had this 11 years ago when my babies were little. I had to use a blender or cuisinart....it did the job, but still, I LOVE this system!!! I just saw on Bethenny's show how she said to add things like nutmeg etc. to their baby food to make them try flavorings early on. that's a great idea, get them used to rich flavors early!
making your own baby food is so worth it!!! it will be so fun when she can eat everything and you can mix 3 different flavors YUMMY! good job mama!
tara